Paradise Valley Unified School District Holds Annual 5k Run
The Paradise Valley Unified School District (PVUSD) holds an annual 5k Run for fitness with support for planning and the project coming from the Valley Schools Employee Benefits Trust (VSEBT) of which PVUSD is a founding member. This year, over 1,000 were in attendance and over 800 walked or ran for the event. This was the third annual event and has grown dramatically each year in success. This year’s brochure:
PVUSD Superintendent Dr. James P. Lee awarded prizes to the winners of each category, as well as to the individual schools that brought the most people out to support community fitness.
The event is now held every Second Saturday in February of each year. Be sure to get it on your calendar now, as the event may fill up quickly.
This year, the district introduced a friendly “team” competition between departments/schools. Each department/school had separate color t-shirts with their groups name. Trophies were provided for 1st through 3rd place for event participation, and a “traveling” grand prize trophy was awarded for the first year to group with overall participation. The top three schools in getting out the runners were:
1st Place Copper Canyon
2nd Place Horizon High School
3rd Place Shadow Mountain High School.
Third place very close, with Shadow Mountain High School beating out the fourth place team by just one runner.
More than Just Running
In addition to the 5k run and walk, several other fitness experts and staff were on hand to help.
1. District benefit vendors on hand to support the event and answer any benefit questions.
2. Website set up to assist teams with healthy ideas for training by VS: http://wellstyles.org/PVUSD5K2013.html
3. Wellness Champions (who are district staff) volunteered for each site/department to assist the wellness committee with organizing and encouraging team participation.
4. PVUSD has had an active wellness committee comprised of school nurses, Benefits Supervisor, Carol Priborsky and Valley Schools Director of Business Development Sheri Gilbert for four years.
List of Sponsors PVUSD 3rd Annual 5K
1. Paradise Valley Unified School District (PVUSD)
2. Valley Schools Employee Benefits Trust (VSEBT) – Event organization, support and administration
3. United HealthCare – Water Donation
4. BASIC (district’s FMLA, COBRA & FSA provider) monetary donation toward t-shirts
5. Ellie Brockhurst & Associates (short term disability provider) monetary donation toward t-shirts
6. VSP – donation towards snacks & water
7. Delta Dental – donation towards first aid supplies and snacks
8. SunLife Financial – donation towards supplies and snacks