Some event information:
* This is the 4th Annual Event which started the first year with just 200 participants in year one, and are now up to over 1,100 participants not including spectators;
* The PVUSD Wellness Committee, which is made up of district nurses, Benefits Coordinator Carol Priborsky and Sheri Gilbert from Valley Schools Employee Benefits Trust (VSEBT) organize and manage the event with the help of district & community volunteers. The committee begins organizing the event each year during the summer;
* PVUSD has held the very modest registration costs flat every year to encourage community and district participation and affordability for everyone;
* Last year the district introduced a healthy team competition between sites/schools and continues the tradition this year. A trophy is given to the top three sites with the most registered team participation. There is also a grand traveling trophy engraved with the site winner each year that has the overall registered participants which stays with that site for the year and is highly desired! Dr. Jim Lee will be announcing this years winner of the grand trophy prior to the start of the race.
* The Awards Ceremony commences at approximately 10 am for the top three finishers in each of eight age groups for both male and female participants;
* Kids DASH events: The dash events are organized after the runners are through on the track field for ages ten and under. These events are free to participate. Depending on the number and ages (they do NOT have to register for the dash events and girls and boys run together) the announcer organizes the kids into age groups of say 3-4, 5-7, and 8-10. Runners race in a 50 yard dash. Medals are given to all participants’ right after the finish by volunteers and as well as ribbons for 1st – 3rd as they cross the finish line;
* Registration fees, along with generous donations from PVUSD employee benefit vendors, make this event possible. Benefit vendors include: Delta Dental of Arizona, United Healthcare (UHC), Aflac, Ellie Brockhurst & Associates and VSP;
* If looking for more runs, you can go to AllArizonaRunningEvents.com and check out the Calendar page.
* PV School District is celebrating 100 years of excellence this year!
* For the first 30 years of the district, student’s had to walk to school…talk about your 5K!
* Dr. Patrick Sweeny, Assistant Superintendent of Instructional Support Secondary, holds the distinction of owning the very first bib issued in our first 5K event held on February 12, 2011.
* The Valley Schools Employee Benefits Trust (VSEBT) will have three volunteers assisting with the event (Sheri Gilbert, Rebecca McGonigle and Darlene Kracht); and Delta Dental will providing Stacee Grosshans as an additional helper.
Congratulations to PVUSD for their efforts to keep their staff, students and the community focused on health, wellness and community spirit!