Healthy BBQ Recipe
- 1 8oz can reduced-sodium tomato sauce.
- 1 4oz can chopped green chiles, drained.
- 3 TBSP cider vinegar
- 1 TBSP honey
- 1 TBSP sweet or smoked paprika.
- 1 TBSP tomato paste
- 1 TBSP Worcestershire
- 2 TSP dry mustard
- 1 TSP ground chipotle chile.
- 1/2 TSP salt
- 2.5 lbs. boneless, skinless chicken thighs trimmed of fat.
- 1 small onion, finely chopped.
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- Stir tomato sauce, chiles, vinegar, honey, paprika, tomato paste, Worcestershire sauce, mustard, ground chipotle and salt in a 6-quart slow cooker until smooth. Add chicken, onion and garlic; stir to combine.
- Put the lid on and cook on low until the chicken can be pulled apart, about 5 hours.
- Transfer the chicken to a cutting board and shred with a fork. Return the chicken to the sauce, stir well and serve.
Per serving: 364 calories; 13g fat (3g sat, 10g mono); 93mg cholesterol; 32g carbohydrates; 4g added sugars; 30g protein; 4g fiber; 477mg sodium; 547mg potassium.
Bonus: Zinc (18% daily value), Vitamin A (16% daily value)
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 1/2 other carb, 4 lean meat
Provided by Kendall Taylor of the Valley Schools Employee Benefits Trust (VSEBT) in the June 2015 Wellstyles Monthly Newsletter.