Fall Recipe – Pumpkin Bread
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour.
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1TBSP baking powder
- 2TSP baking soda
- 2 large eggs
- 2 large egg whites
- 2 cups packed light brown sugar.
- 3 cups canned unseasoned pumpkin puree.
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Coat two 9-by-5 inch loaf pans with cooking spray.
- Stir all-purposed flour, whole-wheat flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a large bowl. Whisk eggs, egg whites, brown sugar, pumpkin and oil in another large bowl. Add the pumpkin mixture to the dry ingredients and mix until just combined. Scrape the batter into the prepared pans and smooth the tops.
- Bake the loaves until the tops are golden brown and a cake tester inserted in the center comes out clean 50 to 60 minutes. Cool in the pans for 10 minutes. Turn the loaves out onto a wire rack to cool completely.
Per serving: 210 calories; 5g fat (1g sat, 3g mono); 16mg cholesterol; 38g carbohydrates; 4g protein; 2g fiber; 377mg sodium; 125mg potassium.
Bonus: Vitamin A (96% daily value), Iron (15% daily value)
Carbohydrate Servings: 2 1/2
Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 other carbohydrate, 1/2 vegetable, 1 fat.
Provided by Kendall Taylor of the Valley Schools Employee Benefits Trust (VSEBT) in their October 2015 Wellstyles Monthly Newsletter.